Sunday, June 21, 2009

Young Adult Literature

I was glad to see the section on young adult literature in chapter 10 of M&M. I often wonder how much students get out of reading these complex pieces of literature that they cannot relate to. I think they should have to read Shakespeare and other historic pieces of literature, but I think it is important for students to relate to their readings. I also think that when you introduce something like To Kill a Mocking Bird you can compare and contrast to something written from a teen's perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Bevin. It's the issue with which I struggle. We're not preparing them properly if they are oblivious to those complex works, but if they aren't getting anything out of them, why bother...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Bevin. It is very important for students to be able to relate to their readings. I also like what you said about using literature that from a teen's perspective. It is crucial that we consider how they will relate to the literature when we are making are choices. I want all of my students, regardless of the ethnic backgrounds, to have the best learning experience in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete